Florals by Mitzi has prepared a few general care and handling tips to help you maintain your beautiful blooms once they are received:
- Do not place your arrangement in the direct sunlight or near a warm location such as a stove or dryer.
- If the flowers are in a clear vase filled with water as opposed to oasis foam, you should change the water every few days and make sure the water level covers the stems. Remove any foliage that may fall below the water line. Thoroughly wash the vase with warm soap and water and rinse well. Bacteria tends to form in the water so this step will help to reduce the amount thereby allowing the flowers to continue drinking the water they need.
- If time permits while you are changing the vase water, it is helpful to rinse the stems under tepid water to remove any bacteria that can reduce water uptake.
- Using a clean floral knife, recut the stems about an inch or so to allow the stems to continue drinking water (this could be done once during the vase life after a few days).
- I like to use distilled water in vases, as it seems to stay fresh and clear longer, therefore maximizing the vase life. You can even add a drop or two of chlorine bleach in the water.
- If you have floral food, add the directed amount in the water as well.
Enjoy your blooms, and remember to call Florals by Mitzi for all your floral needs.
Since fresh flowers are a perishable item, naturally you want to maximize their “shelf life” so that you get the most “bang” for your buck! The floral industry has changed dramatically over the past several years with many florists closing up their shops due to the economy and competition from big box stores and online floral distributors. Purchasing flowers from a reputable florist vs. a supermarket, ensures that you will get the freshest flowers that will last longer as florists are knowledgeable about selecting the freshest blooms and have built relationships with the wholesalers who can also help ensure that only the freshest flowers are purchased. At “Florals by Mitzi”, we ensure that your flowers are fresh and processed correctly so that you can enjoy their beauty to the fullest! However, if you do purchase flowers from a supermarket or online distributor, there are things you can do to maximize the longevity, so stay tuned for my next blog.
Welcome to the “Florals by Mitzi” blog! My blog will serve as a tool to update and educate you on what is happening in the beautiful world of flowers! I will give you tips on flowers ranging from processing, designing, and sharing tidbits of valuable information. Flowers add so much beauty to our lives, and in this day and age, we certainly all need to “stop and smell the roses!” I hope you enjoy and tell your family and friends to visit my website and facebook!